Our climbing wall was designed and built by a leader in the industry and offers some of the best climbing routes in the Portland area. Our wall is 35’ wide and 40’ tall and we also have a “bouldering cave”. We have three True-Blue auto-belay systems in addition to ropes for traditional top-rope climbing. Lead climbing is available as well, but you will need to bring your own rope.
Our climbing wall offers a great way to cross train your muscles, flex your mind and build your confidence. We welcome beginner and experienced climbers ages 4 and up. Our staff will teach you everything that you need to know to get started. We’re committed to your safety and to providing you with the best climbing environment and programs possible. We offer gear rental and an experienced staff to keep you safe while you have fun. Youth programs include, Birthday Parties, Classes and Camps.
For more information contact the SAC Service Desk at 503-645-3535, or the SAC climbing manager at: CW@sunsetac.com
Tuesday and Thursday Evening 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm, Saturday and Sunday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm.
BEGINNING OCTOBER 5, 2022 we will be adding Wednesdays, 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Rental gear is available. Shoes $3.50, Harness $5.00. Shoe and Harness combo is $8.00 (Must be charged to member account - no cash or credit cards please)
· We invite spectators to watch from the viewing deck overlooking the Climbing Wall from the second story. Spectators NOT allowed in the first-floor belay area below the Climbing Wall. Children need to be 4 years and older to climb at the climbing wall. Children need to be 8 to be at the climbing wall without a parent in the climbing wall area. Children 12 and older can be at the climbing wall without an adult on site. Children under the age of 18 will need a waiver signed by an adult.
SAC Kids Climbing Classes are open to children ages 6-12. Kids will learn climbing terminology, technique and play lots of games!
4 classes per month on Sundays from 2:30 - 3:30 pm (Each month is a new session)
Members $40/session - Non-members $50/session
Registration is required - REGISTER ONLINE HERE
Our instructional Clinic on using the Indoor Climbing Wall. Learn the basics and experience the benefits of climbing. In this clinic you will learn about indoor climbing techniques, terminology, and procedures.
Adult classes are appropriate for age 12 and up. Kids under age 12 may attend this class with a registered adult at no charge
Climbing Class Request Form ONLINE HERE
In this clinic you will learn basic belay techniques required to belay at the climbing wall. Successful completion of a belay check will allow you to use the ropes in the future.
This class is offered the 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month from 9:00 - 10:00 am.
Advanced registration is required.
Cost: $15 for SAC members $25 for non-members
Climbers must be age 12 and up for this class
Climbing Class Request Form ONLINE HERE
Join your climbing wall staff for an exciting summer of climbing themed fun! Our weekly camps will include climbing, bouldering, slack lining and games.
Different themes weekly. See registration form for details. Open to Members and Non-Members!
Camps run Monday-Friday, June 20 through August, 2022 from 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Climbing Camp Details:
• Climbers should bring lunch and a water bottle.
• Climbers should wear athletic apparel (including athletic shoes).
• Rental Climbing Gear is included.
• For climbers 5-13 years old (some camps ages 5-9 only). No experience required.
In this clinic you will learn the basics of indoor lead climbing. Skills taught include: lead belaying, proper clipping, falling, training techniques, and mental preparation. Please provide your own rope and belay partner.
This clinic is scheduled upon request.
Cost: $40 for SAC members - $55 for non-members
Climbers must be 18 years old or have permission from parent and guardian. Previous climbing experience and proficiency climbing a 5.9 or higher is required.
Rent the climbing wall and enjoy private use of the facility!
Parties - Special Events - Team Building
Rentals are scheduled anytime the climbing wall is free of regularly scheduled programs. Staff supervision and rental gear included.
Call for more information and to schedule your event 503-645-3535
What does it cost to climb?
There is no fee for Open Climb, but climbing gear is required. If you have your own gear, bring it and there is no cost to participate in Open Climb. If you do not have gear, rent it from us at $5 for shoes and $3 for a harness.
How old do climbers need to be?
Participants must be at least 4 years old to climb but there is no age limit. There are age restrictions for Open Climb times however. Climbers ages 4 to 7 must have an adult with them in the climbing area. Climbers ages 8 to 11 may stay by themselves, with an adult on the premises. Climbers who are 12 or older may climb by themselves without an adult present.
What do I need to know to climb?
It is important to learn about the requisite safety measures and the terminology that we use in climbing. A lot of people also want to learn to belay, so that they can use the ropes with a climbing partner. We offer courses on Saturday mornings before Open Climb to teach introductory information, belaying basics, climbing techniques, and more advanced techniques. We also offer privately scheduled instruction for individuals and small groups.
What gear do I need?
To climb at Sunset Athletic Club, you need to have a climbing harness and climbing shoes. Many people also want to have a chalk bag handy. We rent all of the equipment at the climbing wall, and we also have harnesses and chalk bags for purchase in the Pro Shop.
Do I need a climbing partner?
No. We are lucky at Sunset Athletic Club to have auto belay devices that make it unnecessary to have a climbing partner. It can still be a lot of fun, however, to climb with a friend and learn to belay for each other.
Can I schedule a special event at the climbing wall?
Yes. We rent the climbing wall for exclusive use during birthday parties, scout troop outings, team building events and other occasions. We tailor the event for individual needs and the best possible experience. For more information contact the Service Desk at 503-645-3535 or CW@sunsetac.com
Climbing Wall Policies and Procedures:
Prior to participation, all participants must complete a Sunset Athletic Club Indoor Rock Climbing Facility Acknowledgment of Risk and Agreement to Participate Waiver and Release of Liability. Parents and guardians are responsible for completing these forms for minors.
Payment and Cancellation Policies:
Participation in Sunset Athletic Club Climbing Wall programs will be charged to member accounts, unless receipts for other types of payment are presented to Sunset Athletic Club Climbing staff at the start of the programs. Non-members must present receipts of payment at the start of programs. Sunset Athletic Club must be notified of intent to cancel at least 24 hours prior to the start of a program or charges may still apply.
• Be respectful and responsible when in the climbing area:
• Sign-in and complete all required forms before climbing or belaying.
• Complete a belay safety check prior to belaying and display your belay card to be easily identified.
• All climbing gear not provided by Sunset Athletic Club subject to inspection.
• All rental gear provided by Sunset Athletic Club must stay in the climbing area.
• Climbing shoes required for climbing as available (when rental shoes are available in the proper size, they must be worn).
• Climbing instruction permitted only by Sunset Athletic Club climbing staff.
• Do not goof around, use profanity or otherwise distract climbers.
• No food or beverages (other than water) allowed in the climbing area.
• Focus on safety when you climb or belay:
• You are responsible for yourself when you climb – make safety a priority – your safety is your responsibility.
• Complete safety checks with your belay partner before you climb – every time.
• Never take your eyes off your climber when you belay.
• When using auto belay devices, always do a safety check with climbing staff and wait to hear “climb on” before climbing.
• Always use a spot when you boulder.
• Do not climb at heights above 8 feet without a harness and rope.
• Respect age restrictions:
• No children younger than 4 allowed in the climbing area for any reason.
• All climbers younger than 8 must be accompanied by an adult in the climbing area.
• All climbers younger than 12 must be accompanied by an adult on the Sunset Athletic Club premises.
• All participants must be at least 12 to belay for other climbers.
• Climbers must be at least 14 to lead climb and lead belay.
• Climbers younger than 18 must have parental permission and complete safety checks with climbing staff prior to climbing or belaying.
• Climbing staff reserves the right to ask any individual in violation of these policies or compromising the safety of himself or other climbers to vacate the climbing area immediately.
Please Note: All Participants must have a completed waiver and release of liability on file before participating in an climbing wall event. Payment and Cancellation Policies: Participation in Sunset Athletic Club Climbing Wall programs will be charged to member accounts, unless receipts for other types of payment are presented to Sunset Athletic Club Climbing staff at the start of the programs. Non-members must present receipts of payment at the start of programs. Sunset Athletic Club must be notified of intent to cancel at least 24 hours prior to the start of a program or charges may still apply.
For more information, contact the Service Desk, or the SAC climbing manager at: CW@sunsetac.com
Schedules/prices/dates/times are subject to change without notice. We do our best to keep info current, Please contact SAC for all details.