Welcome to the Sunset Athletic Club’s tennis program. Not only do we have the top of the line facilities, we also have a history of providing top ranking directors, tennis pros and USPTA certified teachers.
Our programs provide play and instruction for all ages and all levels of play. We cater to the recreation minded player as well as those with serious intent who desire tournaments, competition and skill development. We also provide for the social minded players who like their tennis mingled with barbeque’s, pot lucks and parties.
Tennis Members - USTA 40 and over leagues! Register online for Men’s Nights, Ladies Nights and Drills.
Active members may find reservations using their Courtreserve.com account - please contact SAC staff if you need help or have questions!
Tennis Center Hours:
8:00 am to 9:00 pm Monday through Friday. Saturday and Sunday, 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.
On weekdays you will be able to get into tennis courts at 6:00 am but no staff available in the Tennis Center until 8:00 am. The Tennis Lounge is closed. Please remember, no gatherings before or after play.
Tennis Lessons and Camps:
- Tennis lessons will have no-touch ball policy. Pro’s will feed the balls and pick up the balls. Students may sweep balls into net or back to curtain with edge of their racquets. No serving, sorry!
- Tennis camps will occur with up to four players per court and camp times.
- Children will have to sign up for full week of camp all 4 days and no drop in. Separate groups on courts 5/6/7, and 8/9, and courts 3 and 4. Drop off and pick up in North Parking Lot and child enters at gym for camps.
Court Start Times Staggered:
Court times will start at beginning of day at 6:00 am. The start of the court times will be staggered in tennis bookings in 15 minute increments on alternating courts. For example, an 8:15 am start occurs on Court 1, then Court 2 begins at 8:30 am. See tennis bookings for available court times.
SAC is delighted to welcome Josephine “Josie” Legarza, a talented player with deep roots in Pacific NW tennis. She was a two time singles and doubles semifinalist for Lewis and Clark College at the ITA Northwest Regional Championships – as well as a Northwest Conference second team selection at Lewis and Clark College here in Portland. Josie ranked as state runner up in singles for Nevada in 2015.
As a USPTA Pro and teacher, Josie has passion for helping people of all ages develop their tennis skills. She will be accepting new private lessons (weekdays and weekends) as well as teaching junior group tennis.
Join us in welcoming Josie to Sunset Athletic Club!
Niren Lall, SAC Tennis Director, USPTA Tennis Pro
Michelle Aman, USPTA Tennis Pro
Dao Her, USPTA Tennis Pro
Josie Legarza, USPTA Tennis Pro
Kristi Somers, USPTA Tennis Pro
Join our fun group, who love to play tennis, stay fit and socialize! We offer many programs, including: Camps, Clinics and Lessons for all levels and age groups. Ladies free clinics, Ladies Flights, Men’s free clinics, Men’s Championship Doubles, Men’s B Doubles, Men’s Seniors. Plus, Tournaments and our popular Socials (Mixers) on selected Friday nights throughout the year! If you’re serious about tennis or just want to meet others and have fun, this is the place for you!
Tennis Members - USTA 40 and over leagues - Register online for Men’s Nights, Ladies Nights and Drills.
Many of our members compete in tournaments locally and nationwide...and they win! Above our ladies 3.0 team celebrates their National Championship! Winning their USTA division in Mobile, Alabama, October 2018. We also host USTA tournaments for adults and juniors at the club every year.
To schedule lessons or activities, call the Tennis Center at 503-645-6713.
Please Note: Some of the details and programs listed below may/may not be "current"- Contact SAC for details
Adult Lesson Schedule: Download & Print HERE
• Leagues men’s and women’s USTA leagues; ladies flights; Women’s city league (match play vs other clubs).
• Ladies Day - Free drills with Kristi: 1st and 3rd Friday mornings: Free drill session with Kristi 9:30 am to 10:45 am up to 8 players. Also; 2nd and 4th Friday Mornings & First Tuesday Night each month.
• Ladies Night: Free drill session 1st Tuesday of every month. Sign up in Tennis Center.
• Private lessons: Private instruction available from all pro’s.
• New member lesson free ½ hour lesson for new members per membership (or ½ hr lesson for family/couple).
• Group lessons with pros are Monday nights 6:00 -7:00 pm for levels 2.5 to 3.0. Up to 6 players. Tuesday nights 3.5 To 4.0. Sign up in tennis bookings.
• Group lessons with Tim are Monday mornings for levels 2.5-3.0. Up to 6 players from 9:30-10:30 am. Sign up the Tennis Center.
• Doubles drills, Wednesday morning: 2.5 Drills with Dao. Sign up in tennis bookings.
• Men’s Night: Thursdays 6:15 - 10 pm. Sign up upon arrival. All levels – tennis staff runs event.
• Men’s Morning: Saturdays; 4.0 level and above; 8:15 am - 9:30 am. – 3.5 Level and below: 9:30 am - 11:00 am. Partner not needed.
10:45 am - 1:15 pm 3.5 level and below, partner not needed.
• Men’s Senior Doubles Morning: Tuesday and Thursday 10:45 am-1:15am. All levels, partner not needed.
• Junior Night & JTT: Friday/Sunday nights - Junior mixers and Junior Team Tennis league.
• Junior ladder/tournaments intra-club matches for juniors/USTA sanctioned junior events.
• Junior lessons: Junior lessons start with Tiny Tots, progressing to: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, High school, Junior Varsity/Varsity.
• Adult group lessons advertised and private groups available.
• Tournaments: Club doubles and singles tournaments twice a year, always include a theme and a party!
• Mixed Doubles Nights: Select Fridays with Niren – Potluck and fun tennis!
• Fitness members/non-members fitness members may play as a guest of tennis members to play Tennis. Fitness members may not book tennis courts. Non members $20 guest fee must enter with a tennis member.
1 Hour Private - $70.00
45 min. Private - $61.00
1/2 Hour Private - $38.00
1 Hour Private - $72.00
45 min. Private - $64.00
1/2 Hour Private - $40.00
1 Hour Private - $75.00
45 min. Private - $65.00
1/2 Hour Private - $45.00
2-Player Lessons (45 min)
Tennis Members - $32 each
Racquet/Health Members - $33 each
Non-Members - $35 each
(# of Players: 1 Hour / 1.25 Hours)
2 Players: $38.00 / $47.00
3 Players: $26.00 / $31.75
4 Players: $22.00 / $26.75
5 Players: $20.00 / $24.25
6 Players: $18.00 / $22.00
Racquet/Health Members (1 Hour):
2 Players: $40.00
3 Players: $28.00
4 Players: $26.00
5 Players: $22.00
6 Players: $20.00
Non-Members (1 Hour):
2 Players: $43.00
3 Players: $33.00
4 Players: $29.00
5 Players: $25.00
6 Players: $23.00
Prices effective 2/1/21*
We offer many options for our junior players, including: Camps and Clinics for all levels and age groups. More challenges for young players include: Exchange matches with other clubs, Junior Night, Team Tennis, Junior Ladder. Plus our exciting Junior Tournaments! To schedule lessons or activities, call the Tennis Center at 503-645-6713.
Junior Tennis Program 2022 - DETAILS HERE
Junior Tennis Weekend Lessons 2022 - DETAILS HERE
(Please see Pro's for placement in class.)
Tiny - Tots:
For Children that have little or no experience with tennis. Basic Skills and fun are emphasized. Ages 3-5.
Beginning tennis players in their first two years of play. 36’ court; foam red and orange ball will be used.
60’ court orange ball and 78' court green dot and yellow ball.
78' court green ball (12 and under) to yellow ball.
Challenger level players. Invite only class.
High School Invitational:
High school JV and Varsity level. High level challenger and champs.
Please note: All prices and sessions are subject to change without notice. Contact the Tennis Center for current prices and details.
1. Based on membership type, the following number of court reservations is allowed per week. (Our week is Monday through Sunday. Every Monday our members have a clean slate of reservations). Day of Play reservations and Next Day do not count towards this number so this is for advanced reservations more than 2 days in advance.
7 DAYS IN ADVANCE - CALL IN AT 8:00 AM FOR RESERVATIONS BETWEEN 8:00 AM TO 2:30 PM, OR CALL IN AT 8:30 AM FOR ALL RESERVATIONS BETWEEN 3:45 PM TO 10:00 PM FOR FOLLOWING WEEK
FAMILY Memberships are allowed 4
COUPLE Memberships are allowed 3
SINGLE Memberships are allowed 2
2. Two names are required when making a court reservation. The person who made the reservation should have their name listed first. Back to back reservations are not allowed. A court booked in your name entitles you to one court for an hour and fifteen minutes but not necessarily that particular court originally scheduled for you. You may be asked to play on a different court for example if lessons are going on or another court wants to play longer or court next to it is open etc.
3. Members are allowed ONE advance Prime Time reservation per week, per membership. They may call SEVEN days in advance. Prime Time is 9:30 & 10:45 and 6:15 & 7:30.
4. Members may make Day of Play (DOP) and next day (ND) court reservations. Member may make as many DOP’s and ND’s as they would like however they need to play through their first court time before reserving another court. DOP’s and ND’s do not apply toward a membership’s weekly reservation count.
5. Court reservations are held for 15 minutes. If someone is later than 15 minutes the court may be given away.
6. A NO SHOW fee of $10.00 is charged to members who do not show up for their reserved court. It will be charged to the person who reserved the court (first name listed). Member need to call at least an (1) hour in advance when canceling a court reservation to avoid the NO SHOW fee.
7. A ball machine (BM) reservation is for using the ball machine only. Members shall not use the ball machine as a teaching basket or device to feed from. Please use tennis ball hoppers available at front desk. Ball machine packages must be purchased for use and are available for $150 for year or $15 per hour and fifteen.
8. SAC tennis pros are the only ones allowed to teach lessons at the club however members may only teach their own children. Members may not teach other members children or may not teach other adults.
To schedule lessons or activities, call the Tennis Center at 503-645-6713
*Schedules/prices/dates/times are subject to change without notice. We do our best to keep info current, Please contact SAC for all details.